Art To The Heart
- Heart Kids Victoria
- 17 Mar 2017 - 31 Mar 2017
Being diagnosed with a serious illness can be a catastrophic blow to the young patient and their family. Creative art therapy helps them cope with the mental and emotional stress that often accompa...
Being diagnosed with a serious illness can be a catastrophic blow to the young patient and their family. Creative art therapy helps them cope with the mental and emotional stress that often accompanies their battle with illness. Plus, it allows them to forget about the pain, even for a while, and just relax.
The Art Cabriolet participates in two camps a year with Heart Kids Victoria providing creative arts therapy –
Family Camp: working with children and their families and bereaved families, the Art Cabriolet facilitates creative expression and invites play. The intention of the art is to encourage members to acknowledge their strengths and attributes within their family group. The art processes help support communication between family members and highlights dynamics and roles that play out in families.
- Giving the opportunity for families to create an alternative narrative for themselves.
- Creativity can engage both parents and children in enhanced communication, understanding and emotional relatedness.
- Moves the “adults” out of their intellectual world into the world of imagination, spontaneity, metaphor and creativity that the child is familiar with.
- Families that do not know how to express feelings directly may find a way to do so when they are given the opportunity to draw or paint.
- The artwork is a tangible record and reminder of the challenges and strengths the family addressed.
Tween Camp: providing art expression for adolescents who have congenital heart disease and promoting confidence and self-esteem. Creating a safe space where adolescents feel supported and able to explore feelings and interact with peers through non-verbal language.
- Most adolescents find it difficult to verbalize how they feel. Because of that, they are encouraged to communicate their feelings through creative expression.
- Sense of control and mastery. Art therapy can be liberating as it provides an opportunity to make a decision and create a sense of control. This supports a sense of control and mastery for the individual.
- Sharing their creative expressions allows for peer support and a chance to tell their stories, and rebuild their sense of self.